Friday, February 10, 2012

Strong Enough!

I have seen a lot of babies be born too soon. When you go through Infertility, often the very reason you struggle to conceive results in premature deliveries. I have said goodbye to too many babies, and they still occupy my thoughts so very often. But today, instead of saying goodbye, we are saying Welcome Home! My friend Jennifer welcomes home her little Layla today. Layla was born on October 28th, when Jeni was 24w2d pregnant. Layla was just 1 lb, 8 oz, but she is one tough girl! I was on vacation the day Layla was born, with my family. We all said prayers for her that day, and those of you who are IF friends know that we celebrate viability day, at 25 weeks which means babies born before 25 weeks rarely make it. But little Layla had other plans! After more than 100 days in the NICU, Layla is coming home! I am amazed at how strong and determined she is, and even more amazed at her mother, who has divided her time between pumping to feed Layla, traveling to the hospital to visit her, and being a mom to Layla's big sister, Alaina. I 'met' Jen through a message board of Moms. We have all known one another for the greater part of 4 years, and although many of us have never met, we have connected as we got pregnant, had babies, lost babies, divorced, remarried, had more babies, moved, had imaginary babies, fought, laughed, cried, and Layla is not the first time that we have all come together, 306 strong, to support someone who needed us and I am sure she will not be the last. But I cant help but think that Layla is one lucky girl, to have such a strong and devoted mom, and 306 Aunts! :)
Welcome home, Layla! You are loved.


Edited: LAYLA IS HOME! SHE IS HOME! She is amazing and miraculous and to quote a friend of mine: Every miracle of one is a step closer to miracles of many. Bless this little girl and hopefully more babies will be able to come home. Here with her beautiful big sister:

5 comments:

  1. I am dead at imaginary babies.

    Great post, Layla truly is a celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretnery approves of this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! Truly amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post. I fell in love with Layla the day she was born and I am so proud of her, Jen, and that amazing big sister, Alaina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've prayed for Layla since the day she was born. I love this post and all it represents.

    I am also /dead at iMaggienary babies.

    ReplyDelete