Monday, January 16, 2012

My godchild is about to have a baby. She is really special to me in so many ways, from the way we are connected (her mother is my godmother, I am her godmother, she is Ethan's godmother) to the way she has grown from a beautiful sweet little baby to a funny toddler and a smart and sassy kid to a beautiful and sarcastic teen (I was so proud there!) and most recently, to a newly mature and thoughtful adult. I think she is going to make a good mom. I wish I could somehow reassure her that even though becoming a mom is the most terrifying thing, It is also the most amazing and life affirming event. Becoming a mom is like starting a brand new book. When you open it, you have some idea what is about to come, but the twists and turns along the way are all new and exciting and often, not at all what you thought they would be, and they make the story worth reading. The story will change, the plot will get more and more complicated, but in the end, you are so thrilled at having read it. I used to laugh at all the mom stuff, like this:
But you know what? No matter what, it is simply true. When Courtney and I did the last set of maternity pictures, I shared with her a feeling I had, when I was about 35 weeks pregnant with Ethan. He was as safe as he would ever be, and selfishly, part of me wanted to keep him there, all to myself. He and I had grand talks, in the shower, in the car, watching TV. I would sit and pull my shirt up a bit to see my belly move and talk to him about anything. As much as I wanted an outside baby, I also savored that time, when he was just mine, my baby and me. I think Courtney was feeling some of the same, and she and her little one made quite a pair. Courtney looked simply lovely, with that sometimes mythical glow... here are some of my favorites:
She is beautiful, right? I know. Courtney is coming over today to take a second set of maternity photos, inside this time, because we were freezing the last time! and very very soon (next week if this little one is on time) we will be doing newborn photos, and I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment